Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Other Seven Wonders of the World...


My sweet and wonderful friend, Kathryn at;
Take My Breath Away passed on The Versatile Blogger award to me! I am so thrilled as I have truly enjoyed meeting new friends in Blogland and was actually thinking of doing a poll to ask if I'm the only one that really feels connected with such wonderful people out there! So this award comes at a perfect time.
If you have never visited Kathryn's blog Take My Breath Away please stop by and say hello. Her blog is not only beautiful and inspiring but very real, you just feel as if she has asked you in for a cup of coffee and a chat...true Southern hospitality! Thank you Kathryn for giving me this award, I am honored!

A "Versatile Blogger" brings everything to the table - a little of this and a little of that."
Now, here are the rules for the Versatile Blogger Award:
Thank & link back to the person who gave you the award (Thank you, Kathryn!)
Share 7 things about yourself
Pass the award on to (up to) 15 other bloggers who you have recently discovered and think are fabulous
Contact the bloggers you chose and let them know about the award.

So here we go...seven things you never knew about me and never knew you wanted to know about me...

1. My given name is Theresa Joanne so named after an Angel or a Saint, can't remember which one but it doesn't matter anyway because (much to my mother's dismay) I was never able to live up to an Angelic or Saintly standard :) Probably because of my mouth! In 2nd grade (at the tender age of what...7?)...my teacher actually wrote in my report card for Citizenship; "Terry has trouble with talking too much in class and needs to work on this problem". My mother replied back with; "Yes we have the same problem here at home with Terry and we are working on it!". I was born in the month of  March and I am Aries, the Ram through and through. I am head strong, able to make a decision in a heartbeat, and have a fearless pioneer spirit. I always want to be in the lead position but only because I want to make sure the coast is clear for those that may follow.
2. When I was sixteen, my parents and grandmother enrolled me in John Robert Powers Modeling and Finishing school in California for a year. As odd as such a school program may sound by today's standards, it was truly one of the best things I could have ever done. It taught me such things as manners, voice and diction (to speak correctly and not talk so much), applying make-up (so as not to look like a clown:), how to properly sit in a dress, how to introduce people properly, how to write a thank you note, you get the idea. But most of all, it taught me how to respect myself as a young lady and how be respectful of others. Lessons in life that are as timeless today as they were back then.
(me age seventeen)
3. I have a very creative side. If you ask me to plan a party I can execute it like an event  pro except I don't get paid for it:) I love to organize anything, and I mean anything...to a fault! If I walk into a room no matter where it is, be it someones house, a hotel room, a party, I start re-organizing it in my mind! Its horrible, I just can't help myself! I have actually stayed at B&B's where I have re-organized the room we stay in and/or the living rooms! I never tell the owners but I often wonder if they leave it the way I rearrange it:) I've also (legitimately) helped many friends with interior re-design and rearranging. I live, breathe and dream of decorating and can never get enough of it. It is my passion in life!

4. OK Kathryn so this one is for you; you and I are exactly the same! I love too to read. I read every single night before bed and have for as long as I can remember. Thank goodness my husband is OK with the light being on until I'm done reading for the night! I love almost any kind of good read except violence, I just won't even pick up a book if its disgusting in any way. I too love to read some books over and over. As a child I loved the Nancy Drew series. As an adult, I love to read just about anything and I am fascinated with anything having to do with the Kennedy's; John, Jacqueline, you name it, I read it. I can't go to bed at night without reading. It's unnatural and very rare for me to get into bed and just turn out the light unless I am extremely tired! Maybe it goes back to being read to as a child before bed...

5. I have never had children of my own but was blessed when I married my husband. He had/has a daughter, (now 30) and she has blessed us with two little grandsons now six and four. In many ways I do/did have children because we do all the same things a "normal family" does and those little boys only know that I am their grandma and that's it.
(becoming a grandma to Cole and Blake)

6. I have never met a vegetable I didn't like:) Yep Kathryn, even Peas and Beans...oh and I did try fried green tomatoes and Okra one time cooked by a true Southern cook and it was divine! I loved it! Most of the time my husband and I eat like vegetarians but we're not in the true sense of the word, we just like veggies a lot! I'm not a big meat eater and really don't like steak at all, it just seems so wrong to have to gnaw on something so much to be able to swallow it...what's up with that?! Oh but put Seafood in front of me and I could eat it all day long, love it all! I like Bananas before they turn too ripe and mushy but hate Banana bread...bleh, bleh, bleh...it ranks right up there with Fruit cake for me:)

7. I worked as a Clinical Research Coordinator for 30 years and believe it or not I secretly want to be a stay at home wife. To me that would be a dream come true.
  (me above at the job I am now retired from and below, all gussied up)


There you have it! Seven things you didn't know about me and could probably live without knowing!

Now to pass this on... I know everyone is busy so if you aren't able to do this, I understand yet there are so many wonderful people out there in Blog land that I call my friends! My list of favorite blogs could go forever and it does on my dashboard! But as I said I know everyone is busy, busy, busy in life so this is a good start!

22 comments:

  1. Loved reading about you! Thanks so much for the award! I'm honored!
    Hugs,
    Coralie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this about you. I do feel like I know you better now. You are even more awesome then I thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry- I loved finding out more about you...and thought we were twins until I got to the vegeterian part...lol...I love steak..any steak...any way...well, except raw;>)

    I am a reader too and read every night. Sometimes I think I am reading only to have the book fall down and clunk me in the head..and I lived life through Nancy Drew. Did you read the nurse books too? Cherry Ames and Sue Barton? I read those along with Nancy Drew.

    I never in my life thought anyone else would walk into a motel room and switch furniture around. MyHero thinks I am absolutely nuts because I do that too...and I hate it when the headboard is affixed to the wall---if I could only shove it a few feet one way or the other it would be perfect-lol

    Thanks for the smiles tonight- I am glad to know you better- Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was awesome!!! I loved reading more about you! It is funny because I too feel very connected to so many people, but then we really don't know that much about each other! You are too sweet and thank you for your kind words about me and my blog! You are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the award !! It's always wonderful to read and get know our wonderful Blog Friends a litter more.
    We also do not have children though through be Godparents to a few and friends with children we are extremely blessed to part of a child's life. Perhaps one day we will be blessed with a child(bio-logical via surrogate or adopted) its in His hands. For now we will remain parents to our Yorkie (Dolce) and Yellow lab (Stella).. wishing you a wonderful week ahead ! XO HHL

    P.S. your pictures have not changed in the 30 years .. please share your secret>>:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for thinking of me! That's so sweet. It's so much fun getting to know you. The stories about your childhood/teen years are so sweet.I also loved Nancy Drew as a pre-teen and got lost in every book. Your photos are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Terry! Thank you so much! I am so ashamed to say that I received this award awhile back and just haven't completed it! I will edit it and thank you and sweet Magdaline for sending it to me! I am a HUGE procrastinator...so wish I wasn't! I will get on it!! This has encouraged me to do so!! I loved, loved, loved reading your story! YOu are such a neat person and I have so enjoyed reading your posts! YOu know, it is a shame we don't live in the same town, because we could just open up a 'party throwin' store and just create all day long!! BTW, LOVE the tea party for your niece!! So good to 'see' you and thank you again for this award! I will not drag my feet this time! Christie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coralie, you are so very welcome! It was my pleasure:)

    Linda at A La Carte: you too!

    NanaDiana; we are twins, just not identical:) Strangely enough, no I didn't read the nurse books, just knew that was my direction in life!

    Jemsmom (Kathryn) it is all so true my friend! You are adorable!

    HHL, I to am the parent of little fur babies!

    Marla@Always Nesting, I think the same bout you and your photos which is why I elected you too my friend!

    Christie, your posts, your photos and your blog have truly been such an inspiration to me I just couldn't resist electing you!
    And yes we could be the best of friends if we did live closer my friend! Your life is reminiscent of what I need to live!
    Most sincerely, Terry

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to hear from you today! It is nice to meet a fellow Oregonian. This has been my year to become very well acquainted with an Opthomologist's office, Eye Health NW. I had cataracts removed from both eyes, which was the most amazing surgery I've ever had. It seemed so simple, painless and best of all...I can see so much better. I remember when cataract surgery meant weeks of recovery. I'm sure sometimes you would like to stay at home but you are doing good work that makes peoples lives better. Stop by again and I will do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there, sweet sister-friend! I enjoyed reading about you and seeing you looking so pretty in the pictures you shared (obviously some really good genes at work when you were created!).

    Thank you for thinking of me when you were selecting recipients. Not long after I started blogging I made a button that says "Your visits are my rewards. Thank you, Bill" I was trying not to say "Award free," but that was what I meant. In trying not to sound harsh, I probably made it sound so vague as to be meaningless. I'm so sorry. I'm truly honored that you'd think of me!

    Hope you have a great week!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed reading,We are alot alike,only thing is,I love meat.hehe
    -Jo
    -Lazyonloblolly

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading all of these little tid bits about you...I feel like I know you so much better now! We really are alot alike...too funny!

    Thanks you soooo much for including me...you are the sweetest thing! I soooo appreciate it!

    Thanks again!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the nod! :) I really appreciate it. You are a lovely woman and it was fun to see pictures of you through your life. Thanks so sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know if you want me to write in your blog that the Saint you are (because there are a couple St. Theresa's ) is your husband, Mark's 7 th cousin. As the story goes; her father's brothers came over from France to Canada but her father stayed in France. Eventually the brothers came down to MN and started the families of Martins. Her name is Therese Martin. In the French spelling there are two (I don't know what they are called) dashes over the the first e and second e which makes the name French. But as I grew up St. Theresa "The little Flower" was known by all of us Catholic girls and is mine and many other girls Confirmation name. You see my full name is Elizabeth Ann Theresa Holland. She was born on Jan. 2nd 1873. I have a book of her life, she was very young when she became a nun and was quite young when she died. I can loan you the book. I know Mark will scoff at being related to a saint :) but it's true.
    If I were to write this in your blog it would be very abbreviated.
    Bye love Betty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear MIL, I love this story for a couple of reasons; first I just knew I was Saintly, second I love that meaning of the name "The Little Flower" (how sweet), three, your Confirmation name is the same as mine! I love that! Thank you for sharing!
    Hugs, Terry

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness, how exciting! Although, I'm not into the blogging thing, just too busy with other things this seems to be quite an honor/accomplishment and you haven't been blogging for very long. I'm not surprised though, you definitely have a knack for writing and photography.
    What a fortunate neice Mindy is to have you put on such a lovely tea for her 14th birthday, I do hope she appreciates all your time and effort.
    Love, NVSue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Terry, you have such a beautiful blogsite...the words are witty and the photos "to die for"! I always enjoy spending a bit of time here....even more so now that I know a bit more about you. I think it's interesting how so many of us have similar interests....I particularly notice that many of us are avid readers, decorators and event organizers! It's so fun to share a glimpse into the lives of others and find inspiration from new-found friends. And, by the way, you do "clean up good", girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was nice getting to know you. I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Terry, you have a very interesting bio, and I can totally relate to your comment, "I live, breathe and dream of decorating and can never get enough of it." Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Terry, that was so much fun learning more about you! Grandchildren are such a blessing. The work you do sounds so very important...bless you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey sweet lady, been missing you! I just had to go and look you up and I loved reading about you. We are kindred spirits! I am impressed with what you do, that is awesome, would love to know more. There is not ever a night that I don't read, would not get to sleep if I could not read.

    I hope you are well, take care dear friend.

    Ohooo, I should not be reading blogs, but I am and I'm having fun! Should be packing or doing something like that!

    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Terry,
    As usual, I'm trailing behind, but I very much enjoyed reading this post and following you. You are so right, there are so many amazing people "out there" that one would have never met otherwise.
    Keep well,
    Anyès
    XX

    ReplyDelete

A penny for your thoughts...