Friday, October 14, 2011

A Wordy kind of gal and a tutorial...

I have always had a love of words and writing...see that's me below at about age two, I loved writing then and love it even more now!

I think that's the reason blogging has been a fun and creative outlet for me. Also, because I've met so many really great people and so many of you out there have the same passions; beautiful living and a zest for all things creative and expressive!
So today's post is in honor of words, literature, creativity and in this case...a bit of a "mishap" from this little darling..."Pearl the girl"

Yes she looks innocent enough alright...well she's got you fooled! She can be a bit of a stinker and can get into mischief and trouble like you wouldn't believe!
Here's proof...she wanted to see what was on the table and pulled the tablecloth down...on my birthday!

Which brings me to this, my love of prose and another Pearl escapade... 
Many years ago while traveling with the hubs we wandered into an antique shop and I came across an old Mark Twain book. In the book was a poem written by him that I knew would HAVE to be in my house somewhere, someday. 

One Christmas I got my wish; sweet Mr. La Bella Vie gave me the poem as a Christmas gift in the form of Wallwords which is a rub-on applique that I promptly applied on the wall of my foyer that you see above. 
What you can't see is the table below it that my little stinker kitty, Pearl likes to sit on...and apparently pick off the letters in the name...Mark Twain!
If I didn't love her so much, I would have booted her to the moon!

So...I had to re-order poor ol' Mr. Twain's name and re-apply it which brings me to the very brief but informative tutorial of this post...applying the words to the wall...
Get out your favorite laser-level, tape the words to the wall and rub on with the tongue depressor that comes with the words...and your done! That simple!
Here's a few more examples of some of the Wallwords I've done throughout the house...
"Wine makes every meal an occasion and everyday more civilized"
(click pics to enlarge)

And last but not gotta make the best of anything in life no matter what it may be. So the last place you'd expect to see "Wallwords"...the entry door to the kitty-potty-box. The inside pet door goes through the cupboard door under the sink in my laundry room, then goes through another pet door in the outside wall into the garage and into in a screened-in enclosed area for the little "Principessa" of whom would rather powder her nose in privacy thank you very much!

And on that note, I have come to the "end" (pun intended) of this highly technical post!
Have a great day everyone!

Linking up with Susan for another Metamorphosis Monday #138...go see all the other great MM's out there!

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Plaids that play well together...

OK so its been a while since I've posted and you know why? Because I've been really busy playing! Playing around in my sewing room...finally! I say finally because all summer long, I've either been outside or busy with summer activities and blogging has taken a backseat until this past month. However, in this post I really have been anticipating a wonderful Fall season and getting the house ready for "cozying in". 

So in anticipation of that, I've been working on what turned out to be a huge project! A few months ago I got a new (plaid) ottoman and recliner for our family room that you see below.
the plaid fabric in the ottoman and pillows actually has the same sage green in it that my sectional is, however its difficult to see in these pictures...

I also had a plaid lumbar pillow made from the same fabric to sort of pull the room together. But once everything was in place, I soon realized, my wicker table and chairs in my kitchen nook looked awful. You can see the old pink cushion below and just how bad it looked with the new plaid...

So I ordered the same plaid fabric that's on the ottoman (by-the yard) and decided to make new cushions which turned out to be harder than I thought; upholstery fabric is difficult to sew on a home machine but it was worth it in the end.

I took the original cushion covers off,

numbered each one because in reality, each cushion is just a bit different in size from the factory so in order to make sure the new covers fit well, I wanted to keep the right cushion with the right cover.

then used them as my pattern pieces...

to cut the new plaid fabric.

 I kept all the pieces together for each pre-numbered cushion

 made new piping covers but used the original piping the cushion had on it as a cost saver but also because it was still in really good condition...

sewed it all together and came up with this new look just in time for Fall...

which I must say looks soooo much better with my new ottoman!

Next re-build the TV/entertainment cabinet out of an antique armoire we have. We did have everything housed in there until we put a new TV in and it doesn't fit anymore...oh well the projects never end!

linking up with Kaitlin for another "Re-create party at 

You all need to hope on over and see her, she has the cutest little blog!